People have forgotten how long the Old Coder has been at this. Just for fun, news for 2012 has been added to the lower half of this page. Most of 2013 to 2016 is omitted.
<PureTryOut[m]> what does sugar rush do exactly?
<iisu> Speeds up the player for 5 seconds and deals 2HP damage per second.
<DS-minetest> let's add diabetes
<OldCoder> Diabetes. Actually, inclusive isn't bad.
<OldCoder> Let players play as somebody disabled.
<OldCoder> MT skin with missing leg.
<OldCoder> Or wheelchair.
<OldCoder> Wheelchair would be instructive. It would not go up hills.
<iisu> But it would go well down the hills.
* OldCoder laughs
<OldCoder> iisu, thanks, I needed that
* It'll take time to find the right words related to the upstream issue that's most significant. The issue that, in the end, will define the group in question.
Perttu warned me; he said that this was the way that things were. I didn't want to believe him. But discussions have confirmed that upstream has more than its share of the Donald Trump types; the types who judge Jews for being Jewish or blacks for the color of their skin.
I've known this type of person all my life. I grew up with Fundamentalists, the templates for the breed. They're full of hate, predictable, and tedious.
It's regrettable to find this in a project that is, ultimately, about education, inclusion, and community.
Minetest, the community edition, will be contacting Autism Speaks and affiliate groups with Minetest autism projects to explain that there is an alternative to dealing with those who consider autism, especially the simple fact that autistics are detailed, to be a choice, a choice to be ashamed of.
The core devs, or anybody else who considers details to be tedious or frightening, are invited, as I said before, to take a hike.
* Interest has been expressed in the issue of the MT trademark. One core dev, in particular, has been aggressive.
As it happens, acquisition of the trademark to protect the rights of the MT community was discussed with C55, Perttu, months ago; it might have been as long ago as one year.
Facts don't matter, though, to those who operate based on pack imperatives.
I suppose it's pointless to mention the preceding. Perttu told me, weeks ago, that the core devs have demoted him to figurehead. One of them has even explained their reasoning to me. The core devs consider Perttu too inactive to deserve authority.
So, decisions that don't go through the core devs, and the core devs alone, are considered to be inappropriate. Or, to use Andrew's logic, “dick-ish”.
If nothing else, the events of the past 3 weeks have demonstrated that the core devs can't be trusted to handle the trademark issue any more than any other issue where contributors outside the core group must be acknowledged to exist.
The key point is this: The project doesn't belong to the core devs. If they don't like this simple fact, they're free to take a hike.
Just slip out the back, Jack, make a new plan, S-fan
Don't need to be coy, Noroy, just listen to me
Hop on the bus, Gus, don't need to IRC much
Just drop off the key, Lee, and “git” yourself free
The project is here for the benefit of all who wish to contribute. And all who wish to learn or have fun in the process.
* CoderBlox World is up. For screenshot and details click here.
* Personal note: OldCoder is experiencing a medical issue that visitors to his weblog may recall reading about. Schedule may be unpredictable for the short term.
* nore said, “I think we need to include high-quality subgames with minetest, right now we don't have much”.
The official response is, we're bundling MineClone 2 [as CloneCraft] and Mineville now. Wuzzy will continue work on Mineclone 2. Mineville will grow with contributions from Shara and others. And when Jordach has an alpha ready, that will be bundled as well.
* Ben Rob asks, “Learn Rust or C++ ?” The answer is, download the 'C' White Book, take a few days, and start with 'C'.
* A prototype Minetest store is up. To visit it, click here. This is presently just a placeholder.
* Added a test gallery. It doesn't display titles yet, it's slow to load, and it may not be mobile-friendly. But, it's a start.
Note: To get into full-screen mode, press the X-like button. To get out of full-screen mode, press Escape.
* Added Meowtest to the zoomable maps section.
* Wuzzy has reservations related to the use of CC BY-NC-ND for the site, but acknowledges that the intended scope of the license is reasonable.
* On a related note, we've been asked about factors that distinguish minetest.org from minetest.net. One is that this site will most likely be the one that, directly or indirectly, holds the trademark.
* Work on CoderSea was delayed by unanticipated events in March. However, work is expected to resume prior to Summer.
Work on Minesplice will resume as well. Plans presently call for the tool to be released as a closed-source library. License issues are under assessment.
* The Mineville game has been added to the Minetest source tarball.
* benrob reports that upstream sneak has improved. Shara expresses concerns related to problems with 2-node jump. Plus, what about sneak distance?
Minetest, the community edition, won't be accepting upstream's proposed sneak changes until more progress is observed.
* Sparky has released a new beta test version of the Whinny mod. Copies will be hosted here in due course.
* Grandolf has built Linux Minetest using a freshly installed copy of Zesty Zapus. He's a CLI novice, but he was able to proceed with minimum instruction. Additionally, his copy works fine.
Grandolf's experiment is appreciated. We figure that the right scripts and tutorials will help other novices to get started with Minetest community edition development and hosting.
* celeron55 and OldCoder had a productive meeting on April 5. One unresolved question is, should associations in a FOSS project of Minetest's nature be viewed as professional, as personal, or as both?
* The core tree is synced with upstream git except for legacy sneak and an octacian change discussed on the Minetest home page.
* Added new minetest.conf settings at octacian's suggestion. These can be used to tailor the player-joined message.
* There's a new Windows Minetest ZIP. It's bundled with
two games: CloneCraft and Mineville. Now with LuaJIT: Fast is
a blast. For details and the download,
* A Redcrab zoomable map is now available. For a list of links, click here.
* Take a Peek at Sneak. Sneak is fixed. Latest also fixes the serialization errors. It proved impractical to revert the map changes, so they're in again.
* Started to add zoomable maps to minetest.org.
* minetest.org has been updated to https.
COMING: (1) New minetest game, minimal game, and other games will be bundled. (2) Later, LOTTA will be posted. That's a little copy of LOTT's center city. Good for people who want an existing world to experiment with. (3) After that, the new Android GUI. We have lots of plans, Minetest fans.
Updated minetest_game to current git version. Updated Vanessa World. Most worlds are connected to IRC now.
Replaced gloopores with glooptest. Patched existing mods to work with glooptest. Replaced glomie protector with Zeg9 version of the same mod. Added Animals, Craft Guide, and IRC support to most worlds.
Updated RBA Technic, Kaeza IRC, Vanessa Pipeworks, and Zeg9 Skins mods but preserved existing skins.
Mark Twain world: Added Peaceful NPC, Waterpush, and Workbench. Mark Twain world: Replaced protector with randomproof node_ownership. Additional tweaks to Mark Twain world.
Added Chains by Doc22, Diamonds by Infinity Project, Utility by Keriz, and UFOs by Zeg9 to one or more worlds.
World 30000 has an official name now: AngelFury. Added Conifers by Vanessa to most worlds. Connected some worlds to IRC using Kaeza IRC mod.
Sapier1's animals are now being tested in the Octuteam world. I asked Sapier1 to prepare a stable snapshot of his mod and he was willing to do so. The changes were appreciated.
A new world, Mark Twain, is now live on port 30010.
The OldCoder Server Nexus has been updated to Minetest 0.4.4. All 18 U.S. worlds. Europe will be updated later. Please test the worlds and report any problems.
Computers have been added to most worlds. The mod is by Kaeza.
I've added a new world, as yet unnamed. This world includes V.E.'s house, shown in the screenshot below. It's for demo purposes only. The world won't have interact for a while as V.E. is still working on things.
To visit, come to: server minetest.org port 30017
* Added Trashcan by Baby Face
* Updated Octutool by Octupus
* Added Bridges by Sokomine. Made a minor fix suggested by
* Updated Home Decor by VanessaE
* Gave VanessaE's textures priority over Dokutext textures
* Added octutool by Octupus to most worlds
* At Vanessa's suggestion, patched 3D Forniture to remove Rounded Trees and 3D Papyrus. This should speed up things a bit. Also removed Repair Trees as it is only needed if Rounded Trees are used.
* Updated Places by Zeg9
* Zegaton changes, made at Zeg9 request: Replaced inv_improved with Places. Added Inventory Plus, bags, bridges, and camouflage
* Added More Faces by Dogzilla131
* Reverted Desert Uses to a previous version due to a bug that turned up in a new version
* Added Places mod by Zeg9
to most worlds. This mod allows players to record locations
and descriptions of their places.
* Added Inventory Improved mod by Zeg9 to Zegaton. Similar to Places but not compatible with Inventory Plus.
* The OldCoder MT server framework now includes workarounds for EnvArgsEnd and PlayerArgsEnd corruption
* Removed teleporters:teleporter from Zegaton at Zeg9 request
* Updated Desert Uses by Menche
* Removed TNT from Zegaton at Zeg9 request. Also added Ghostash player avatar.
* Added support for individual 2D avatars — PilzAdam code
* Created a few new 2D avatars
* Added More Flags by Dogzilla131
* Added Secret Passages by Gatharoth
* Added Scaffolding by DanteLives
* Added Desert Uses by Menche
* Added Unified Bricks by wowiamdiamonds
* Updated Flowers by VanessaE
* Merged some upstream patches
* Improvements to the server framework
* Added a new world: Zegaton. This is Zeg9's world, which I'll be hosting now. Presently located at 30015.
* Added a new world: Veritas. This is a large creative world. Presently located at 30014.
* Patched Inventory Plus to fix a crash. Updated Farming Minus, Gems, and GloopOres. Added a new world: Harbor. Alternate Tux World has been successfully regenerated and buildings have been moved to the new terrain.
* Updated Technic.
* Added Gems by NekoGloop.
* Replaced all farming in PilzAdam world with Farming Minus.
* Updated Octublock. Dropped Octuwater for now at Octupus request.
* Dropped dicormod for now as it causes crashes
* Switched to Real Bad Angel version of More Blocks for the time being; this version fixes a recipe issue. Updated Octublock. Tested WorldEdit //metasave and //metaload against LevelDB; no problems observed so far. Real Bad Angel world was damaged by lava so we reverted to a backup copy.
* Several worlds have been converted successfully from SQLite3 to LevelDB including the largest of the current worlds, Calinou World. Some problems in the conversion procedure have been corrected with thexyz's assistance.
* Technic has been updated. The Octublock and Octucard mods have been added to the Octuteam world. The Octuteam world seems to be stable now and coming along nicely.
* The Octuteam world died. However, converting from SQLite3 to LevelDB seemed to help. The world is back though the castle hasn't been reconstructed yet.
* WorldEdit has been updated to fix some bugs.
* DokuTest has been updated to support Gloop Ores and More Ores. Node Owner has been dropped for now.
* World Time has been dropped for now except for Calinou World
* Built a MT server that supports LevelDB and MySQL
* Added a MT world on port 30013 that uses LevelDB
* Updated technic. Removed item_pickup and timber from technic worlds as it now obsoletes them. Added a technic related patch to the default mod.
* Wrote general build instructions for Linux Minetest servers and clients
* Updated the Windows Minetest client programs
* Additionally, built a Debian version of both the Minetest server and the client. This release adds Taoki's anaglyphics feature.
* Built new Windows Minetest client programs. This release includes a filters patch by Vanessa, preloaded media, a copy of minetest_game, and updated mods.
* Fixed some crashes in Town Test. Added new textures. Updated Mesecons and Snow. Thexyz repaired database damage in the Calinou world.
* I'm hosting the Calinou world now.
* Added new mods to OldCoder modset: Animated Water, Bookmarks, Colored Wood, Hydro, Node Ownership, Set Home, and World Time. Some of these also went into the SkyCoder modset.
* Updated Ambience; there's some new music. Also updated redsand. Added Bones and Map Tools to the Calinou world; they aren't used elsewhere yet.
* Updated Farming, Farming Plus, Flowers, and Town Test
* Added one mod to the OldCoder and Skyblock modsets: Red Sand
* Switched Map Tools, More Blocks, More Ores and Stairs Plus, all by Calinou, from the original versions to the current git versions
* Added two mods to the OldCoder modset: Timber and
* Updated Home Decor
* Removed PilzAdam Throwing for now because Jango Fett 154 has reported multiple issues with the mod
* Added a mod to the OldCoder modset: bobblocks
* Updated Home Decor and Technic. Added a new world: HolaMundo.
* Added a Minetest client program for SolusOS 1.2-x86
* Added a new world: M13 Xiphos
* Added a mod to the OldCoder modset: Locked Signs
* Updated Technic
* Added new lava by Real Bad Angel
* Renamed files to remove spaces in filenames
* Changed the default player image to be a person and not a
* Updated Flowers and DokuTest
* Minor fixes to PilzAdam World
* Built a Minetest client for Fedora 17 GNOME i686
Lots of Minetest news today.
* There's a new Windows Minetest client program available for download at minetest.org. This program is faster than the old series and is also loaded with mods for offline use.
* I set up a Minetest server in Europe at europe.minetest.org. This one is hosted by anunakki.
* Added a new Minetest world based on PilzAdam's minetest_game fork.
* Replaced Old Tuxworld with the Tuxworld that mrtux had been running on his Windows server.
* Added sound effects and music to most worlds. In other words, the Ambience change. Note: This change means that the client program will take longer to load the first time it is used. However, it should load at normal speed for subsequent runs.
* Added mods to the OldCoder modset: OctuWater, PilzAdam Clouds, and PilzAdam Signs.
* Updated Technic. Dropped carts for now as they have two problems: they lock up on stairs and they contribute to lag on servers.
* The MineTest Server Nexus is now located at minetest.org.
* Added mods to the OldCoder modset: Farming Plus and Town Test.
Also added DokuTest textures provided by NakedFury.
* Updated mods: Farming, Home Decor, Mesecons, Technic. Replaced Jeija's version of Throwing with PilzAdam's version.
* NakedFury has dubbed this collection of worlds the “OldCoder Server Nexus”.
* Fast is now on by default and has been granted to existing players as well. Anticheat mode has been disabled to bypass some possible bugs.
* Added a new world: Puzzle Islands. Added a mod to the OldCoder modset: Teleporter. Extended worlds framework; mods can be updated more easily now. Added more screenshots to the worlds web page.
* Updated mod: Home Decor
* Added a new world: New Tuxworld
* Added mods to the OldCoder and SkyCoder modsets: 3dforniture, Clean, Repair Trees
* At VanessaE's request, replaced some non-free images with free versions
* Updated to latest Skyblock, Home Decor, and minetest_game git code
* Added a new world: OpenMine
* Added a mod to the OldCoder and SkyCoder modsets: Item Pickup
* Dropped Workers because they crash servers too frequently
* Added mods to the OldCoder modset:
Beds, Home Decor, Protector
* Added a new world: Diaspar
* Rebuilt Minetest server software using latest git sources
* Due to griefing, the servers are now whitelisted. Additionally, the Interact privilege is no longer enabled by default.
* Added mods to the OldCoder modset: Carts, dicormod, Snow, Throwing, Workers, xpanes
* The servers now restart automatically after crashes.
* The server construction procedure now provides for patching mods. Added some patches. Added mods to the OldCoder set and SkyCoder modsets.
* Removed fire mod from all worlds as an attempt to reduce crashes. Added a new world: Mazebint.
* Rebuilt AWS EC2 instance from scratch and documented all steps involved. Switched from EC2 Micro mode to EC2 Small mode. Updated to latest Skyblock.
* Dropped armor for now since it complicates PVP mode. Added mods to Skyblock world. Added Fast to default Skyblock privileges at NekoGloop's suggestion.
Created a new Amazon AWS EC2 instance. Compiled Minetest 0.4.1 and 0.4.3 on the EC2. Built Minetest 0.4.1 and 0.4.3 server trees. Added two 0.4.3 worlds (default and Skyblock). Added one 0.4.1 world (Tuxworld). Created a Minetest webpage.